The store was purchased July 1, 1959, from Jim Elwell and the building opened July 20 or August 1, 1959, on Merle Hay Road at NW 62nd Avenue. This was the first Hy-Vee store located in a major metropolitan area, and the store had 8,200 square feet. It was a 140-by-60-foot building, with a sales area of almost 6,000 square feet and a storage area of 2,248 square feet. It had a 51,000-square-foot parking lot. The store had about 20 employees and three checkouts.
On March 7, 1978, the store relocated fifty feet away from the existing store, which was torn down for parking space. It has 15,500 square feet. The store added approximately 15 new employees. It had six checkouts and was open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily.
They relocated again on December 12, 1984, to 5750 Merle Hay Road, south of its previous location, in the Village Square Shopping Center, with 22,000 square feet. It has a bakery and a 60-seat eating area in the deli.
They remodeled the store on October 4, 2000. The project began in August 1999, increasing the size to 50,572 square feet. The store adds a seafood department, Chinese Express, pharmacy with a drive-up window and more checkout stands. It enlarges the video, floral, delicatessen and customer service areas. The city of Johnston adds new traffic signals at the south entrance to the store’s parking lot. Shortly after, the introduced online shopping.
They worked on the wine & spirits department, which was completed September 17, 2010.
They built a new Hy-Vee Gas/convenience store planned at 5902 Merle Hay Road, which opened April 8, 2014.
The current store director is Brian Stevens.