North Point Church
Just over 100 years ago, in the fall of 1914, a small group of Christian men and women established the Johnston Union Sunday School. Meetings were held in a small one-room building known as the Friar School, located one mile west of Johnston. Within a year the group grew so large that a new building was erected just south of the old church building. Because the building was too cold in the winter, the group met in the new consolidated school building in severe weather. In 1917 the spiritual needs of all people became so apparent that the Federated Church of Johnston was established with a goal to unify Christians in the area who were active members of protestant evangelical churches and the Sunday School transferred all of its property to the church. Rev J.J. Smith was the first minister to be employed. With the advent of the automobile, a steady growth developed in Beaver Valley and by 1920 a brick basement church was constructed, and on May 1, 1920, the church was legally incorporated. Since April 1, 1953, the congregation has been affiliated with the Evangelical Free Church of America. Grant Voorhees, who grew up in the church donated his services as the architect and designed a new church building on Merle Hay. The $67,000 structure was built primarily because of community effort. It was estimated that more than $25,000 worth of labor and was donated by citizens and tradesmen in the community. The first meeting in the new sanctuary was a communion service on Good Friday, April 23, 1954, with an overflow attendance of 375. In 1979, a 2,800 square foot addition was built, a second story above the original basement church.
A new 50,000 square foot church building was constructed in 2001 on the corner of 62nd Ave and 100th Street in Johnston. The church was renamed North Point Church and also completed a $1.6 million remodel in 2018. The focus of the remodel included the worship center, updated finishing’s and a new kids entrance. North Point offers ministries for children, youth and adults with a desire to cultivate communities of grace and truth.