St. James Lutheran Church
St. James Lutheran, affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has been a part of Johnston for 60 years, organizing on December 27, 1959.
The church has been located at the corner of 57th and Merle Hay Road for that entire time, with building programs completed in 1962, 1983, 1993, and 2018.
St. James Lutheran is led by Pastor Bill Bernau, with services at 5 pm on Saturday and 9 am on Sunday.
In addition to worship services, St. James has been active in the Johnston community hosting Alcoholics Anonymous meetings for 40 years. They have also hosted Boy Scout troop meetings, an active supporter of the Johnston Partnership, hosted Johnston school activities and events, hosting meetings for local Johnston businesses, and took part in a community church progressive dinner honoring the 25th anniversary of Johnston’s incorporation in 1994.
St. James is also involved in the annual Johnston Thanksgiving Worship service with other congregations of the community.
As Johnston is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2019, St. James Lutheran will be celebrating 60 years. The congregation has flourished in the community and looks forward to continuing its relationship with the city of Johnston and its citizens for many years to come.